You know what? Everyone deserves to have a magical sleep. If you are sleeping on a regular mattress, you might be losing the health benefits of using an extra firm mattress.
More studies suggest that this type of mattress provides a level surface that gives the whole body, especially your back, the extra support. While you sleep, an extra firm mattress lets you maintain an excellent position avoiding your back to hurt and curve.
Let’s take a look at the best extra firm mattresses the online market has to offer. But first, give us the chance to explain to you how to choose the best extra firm mattress with this easy to do guide.
5 Things to Consider on How to Choose the Best Extra Firm Mattress
Your body weight
Mattresses wear out or lose flexibility over time, just like any other equipment or furniture in the house. Before buying a new mattress, you must consider yours and your partner’s (if you have any) combined weight.
The support from the mattress is directly related to body weight/s. That’s why when you are heavier, the foam or springs work harder to give you the optimal comfort you desire. So better choose a size like Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, and King, among others.
Material and type of mattress
Some of the most popular types of mattresses are memory foam, hybrid, latex, innerspring (or coils), air, pillow top, and a waterbed. Each type has its advantage and disadvantages for users, but one thing is sure: there’s one type that will suit your needs.
Your sleeping position
We are sure by now that you know how you sleep. Your household companion will surely tell you whether you sleep by your back, side, or stomach. These are the 3 major positions of how people sleep.
If you are a back sleeper, you definitely need firmer support on your back. If you are a side sleeper, experts are quick to assess that you might suffer discomfort and pain in the hip joints and maybe on your shoulders. We advise that you pick a mattress that is medium-soft but extra firm.
Sleep professionals consider stomach sleepers as the worst type of sleeping position. Experts recommend finding a medium to the medium-firm mattress.
The lifespan of a mattress
Most mattresses have a lifespan of 8 years on the average. And the rule of thumb is: replace your mattress every 8 years. But, the life of a mattress still depends on how you use and maintain it.
Memory foams have an average lifespan of 10 years; coils, 7 years; hybrid, 10 years; air bed, 7 years; water bed, 7 years; pillow top, 7 years; and latex, more than 10 years.
We are frequently advising readers that the price doesn’t equate to quality. But your budget is important to consider before buying a new mattress or as a replacement for a dilapidated one. Remember that buying or having a mattress is a prime necessity that we can’t ignore.
The benefits of sleeping well are priceless. So, know your budget well and go for the type of mattress that you feel would suit your needs.
Top 10 Best Extra Firm Mattresses Reviews
Want to sleep comfortably in an easy to inflate air bed? Well, you could try the SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress. This non-sliding air mattress is 19 inches thick when fully inflated so you will feel its softness.
This mattress is probably the best solution for a temporary sleep where you can bring it outdoor with the family in tow. It can be set up in under 4 minutes with its built-in air-pump and be taken down at almost the same time.
The mattress can accommodate 2 people and way too comfy when you are alone. Even heavyweight couples will still feel the comfort of its traditional box springs but equipped with the brand’s signature ComfortCoil technology. And what do you know; it has a 500-pound capacity, really better than its cheap counterpart.
- Eco-friendly air bed.
- A best-seller on the online stores worldwide.
- It can sleep on without a bed-sheet.
- It can be used both outdoors and indoors.
- Portable and light, you can bring it on a family camping.
- Has a built-in air-pump.
- .Not recommended for unattended infants 0 to 15 month-old.
- .Not intended for daily use.
- Made from synthetic material but user-friendly.
- If used in camping, be sure to have a 120v power outlet nearby.
Always remember that sleeping is not a guilty pleasure; a good night’s sleep will make your day right. And what’s the better option than to have an affordable luxury when you sleep in a Sopat Extra Thick Mattress. This cooling mattress is almost twice the filling than ordinary brand so you get a 21-inch fabric side that will fit this thickness easily.
And what’s more? The Sopat Queen-size cushion is a breathable and fluffy pad that is made from high-tech microfiber. The filling material, called the down alternative, is hypoallergenic so kids and even your pets are not in danger. The mattress’ HTMicrofiber filling is finer than a strand of silk so you can really feel its softness on your whole body while you lay down on the pad.
- Designed with a double-border top providing reinforcement.
- 400TC 100% cotton top for added cushion.
- Cool during summer and hot during winter.
- Has an 8 to 21-inch deep pocket.
- Pillow top construction.
- Dimensions: 60” X 80” + 18”
- Machine washable and so easy to keep it clean.
- Mostly made from synthetic materials but user-friendly.
- The whole mattress is so light (about 10.45lbs weight), it can be moved by a 3-year old baby if lying on the floor.
Not all mattresses are made equal; so goes the saying. And it’s true about Milemont’s Mattress Topper Queen, a foam mattress that is taking the online market by storm! As the world is facing the New Year 2020, they are also faced with the need for a better sleep regimen and a healthy alternative while sleeping.
With its fair price and simple but clever design, the Topper Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress lets you lie down to sleep while the memory foam conforms to your curve. In other words, the foam responds to the shape of your body, unlike ordinary beds. That’s what a good thing about memory foam; it hugs you while you sleep.
- Memory foam distributes weight evenly.
- Aligns your spine and relieve pressure points on the body.
- Dimensions: 79 X 59 inches; Weight: 11.65 pounds.
- Will enhance a healthy sleeping lifestyle.
- The gel material traps and transfers body heat to the edge.
- It comes only 2-inch thick but enough to support up to 2 persons.
- Feel the best result when on top of your regular bed.
- When new, let the air out for more than 24 hours to recover normal shape.
A night of rejuvenating sleep is hard to find these days of mobile phone use that even before you sleep; you first grab the device as if it is your ‘sleeping pill’. If you can’t immediately sleep after lying down flat on your bed and you have too much work to do the next day, try using the Karrism Extra Thick Topper.
This deep pocket mattress topper is half thicker than ordinary bed pads so it is more relaxing. This modern mattress topper comes in a Queen-size and provides added comfort just like your traditional bed, which gives support on shoulders, hips, and abdomen when you lie face down. You’ll admire this mattress topper because it has a true baffle box design that keeps the filling from moving.
- Extra thick but extra soft, unlike other brands.
- Made from 400TC breathable cotton top.
- Cool to the feel because of temperature control.
- Also ideal to use in the hospitality trade (like in a hotel).
- With flexible deep pocket design.
- Machine washable and easy to maintain.
- Must be washed in cold water and tumble dry in the low setting.
The Vibe Company has been making mattresses and other bedroom products for quite some time. The company is now a popular household name in North America and best known for its 12-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress. This gel foam provides more health benefits for busy people as this mattress supports every part of the body evenly.
But do you know that this 12-inch mattress is not designed just to be thicker? The Vibe Bed in a Box has a 2-inch gel-filled memory foam integrated with 3-inch comfort foam and 7 inches of high-density base foam.
This triple merging of quality materials draws body heat out from your system while you sleep and at the same time, the foam provides a tremendous amount of support and relief that distribute pressure points evenly in any position.
- Made from premium materials and skilled craftsmanship.
- The foam naturally adjusts to body weight and temperature.
- Dimensions: 39 X 80 X 12 inches.
- Backed up by a 10-year manufacturer’s limited warranty.
- It can accommodate 2 persons at the same time, ideal for couples.
- One of the heftiest mattresses on our list, but its quality speaks louder.
- It comes only as a mattress with no bed frame.
- Delivered to you rolled and compressed, so allow some time to fully spread out.
If you want a firmer but still softer mattress without the annoying spring sounds, you may want to try the Zinus Extra Firm 10-inch Support plus a mattress. The Zinus combined the traditional springs or coils (called iCoil) with comfort foam.
The iCoil technology provides individually-wrapped pocketed springs keeping you stay on your position without shifting even if you are a ‘naughty’ sleeper. Moreover, even if you’re sleeping partner adjusts positions, you can feel minimal movement.
This extra firm mattress is made up of a top Celliant fabric cover, 0.5-inch micro-fiber quilted fabric, a 1.5-inch comfort foam, 1-inch high-density foam, and a 7.5-inch thick iCoil pocketed springs, so you a get a 10-inch firmer but soft mattress.
- A hybrid type of mattress (a combination of springs and foam).
- The foam is CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Eco-friendly and hypoallergenic mattress.
- Expect the extraordinary additionally support during your sleep.
- Offers a worry-free 10-year limited warranty upon purchase.
- The top Celliant fabric cover and microfiber quilted fabric add softness and smoothness but still firm.
- One of the most expensive brands on our list
- Let the mattress decompress in about 48 hours after receiving the package.
More and more mid-age people are being amazed by the Linenspa 3-inch Mattress Topper because of its ability to ease back and joint pains. It’s no doubt that this mattress topper tops as one of the best-selling products on the online market (more than 7,000 units sold in a short time).
But let us look further to this gel-infused memory foam’s other splendid features. Its 3-inch plush memory foam is one-of-a-kind; it can enhance a better sleep pattern no matter what the time of day. The memory foam is a pressure-relieving medium that your old bed won’t provide.
Furthermore, the foam is infused with a cooling gel that grabs and distributes the heat from your body so you feel more comfortable. The foam regulates temperature, unlike conventional beds.
- The memory foam is CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Meets the standards for durability, content, and emissions.
- Fairly priced and a better investment for couples.
- Dimensions: 52.5 X 74 X 3 inches
- Gel memory foam is designed to avoid overheating.
- It comes with only a 3-year limited warranty, shorter than most products.
- Best to use on top of a regular bed.
- Non-ventilated design, unlike the 4-inch variant.
As far as the Zinus Cloud Memory Foam Mattress is concerned, couples will find this bed topper an absolute relief for their back pains and other pressure points. But hey, did you know that this 10-inch mattress is also ideal for your athletic kids?
Its cushioning memory foam and the plush microfiber are combined to provide the hug-like feeling that supports your curves for comforting painful muscles and hurting joints. Your active teenage kids will benefit most using this amazing foam mattress so they don’t suffer the pains of their activities while they sleep.
Moreover, this mattress-in-a-box foam is imbued with natural plant oil, green tea, and purified charcoal for scent control and freshness. That’s why it is called a Biofoam. So when your kids have no time to clean themselves before bedtime, they won’t stink the day after.
- The cover is certified Oeko-Tex (confirms the human-ecological safety of a product).
- Also, certified by CertPUR-US (ensures a product is from led and other heavy metals).
- Ideal for the whole family.
- The cover is machine-washable.
- Delivered to you compressed and rolled so you must relax it for more than 2 days before using.
- One of the most expensive brands on our list.
The Zinus 12-inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress is an upgraded version of the old green tea memory foam. Although it has a high price tag compared to conventional mattresses, it is still one of the fastest-selling brands on the online market.
You won’t be disappointed with this foam mattress as it could provide the needed respite on your every night’s sleep. Furthermore, people suffering from heat build-up have now a choice.
You see, this gel-infused green tea memory foam has a knitted jacquard cover (a highly textured cloth with inter-woven patterns) and added gel beads into the memory foam, which can administer the temperature within your body, thus reducing heat detention.
- Improved version of the green tea memory foam.
- Has a 2-inch gel-infused memory foam.
- 3-inch comfort foam underneath the memory foam.
- The 3.5-inch high-density foam regulates airflow.
- The foam is CertiPUR-US Certified for assurance of content, durability, and performance.
- Made a few changes from the original green tea memory foam mattress.
- Quite hefty but promises more health benefits.
- This mattress may take more than 72 hours to decompress.
Olee Sleep is a mattress brand of Grantec International, a long-time (34 years) US-manufacturer of memory foams and mattresses. And one of its best-selling products is the Olee Sleep 10-Inch Gel-Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress that costs less than $150. This mattress boasts of eco-friendly material that is made up of 93% polyester and 7% spandex.
Furthermore, the distinctive foam layer is infused with gel that deflects body heat so you sleep very comfortable even in hot summer nights. This firm but soft mattress offers a unique level of sleeping experience on which the foam supports all sleeping positions.
- The twin size fits 2 persons and more spacious for sole users.
- Best for students and hosts who need a spare mattress.
- Easy to assemble and takedown.
- Made up of 3 layers of foam providing a heavenly feel.
- Perspiration and sweat don’t stay between the body and the mattress.
- With a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- The mattress comes compressed and rolled and takes about 72 hours to expand.
- Some buyers said that this mattress is too soft.
FAQs about extra firm mattresses
Should I need a new mattress?
As we have stated above, most mattresses have a lifespan of 8 years. Others put the figure between 7 to 10 years. But you could tell if you need a new mattress.
Is your old mattress keeping you relaxed and more comfortable than ever before? If you are not satisfied with your current mattress’s performance (and it passed its prime); maybe you should buy a new one.
Where best to buy a mattress?
Mattresses are big and bulky, although they are not as heavy as other furniture, it may not fit in a smaller car (a truck will do). You can buy a mattress on furniture and beddings stores, supermarkets, or online stores.
One of the best deals on mattresses (prices, shipping, and a wide array of brands) is on Amazon.com where you can find hundreds of brands that will suit your taste and budget. Furthermore, buying online spares you from the annoying traffic and difficulty of going to a physical store.
Should I buy a firmer mattress?
Just like what we said above, if you are a back sleeper a firmer mattress is what you need. Most experts also suggest that if you have a bad back or don’t want to have one, an extra firm mattress will give you the much-needed support for the lower spine.
When we speak about the firmness of a mattress, we mean an unyielding surface. The mattress could be soft but firm, just like memory foams or gel-infused foams.
So, buying the best extra firm mattress will not be your problem anymore as you are now guided by this comprehensive review. If your present mattress doesn’t make you sleep tight or it has been a pain in the back and your entire body (like it sags or too noisy when you move a little), the invaluable benefits of a new one are a priceless investment.
But honestly, you can have your ideal extra firm mattress with just a tick (or add to your cart) of a finger and wait only a day or two before your dream mattress is right at your doorstep.