The usage of pillows by humanity can be traced as far back as 7000 BC. The Mesopotamians can be attributed to the development of this superb invention. Pillows were initially developed to obstruct insects from entering into ears, mouth, or nose during sleep. Back then, pillows were a luxury product, crafted from the most expensive stones available. Over the years; however, pillows have become a regular use commodity. More and more pillow styles, types, and designs are entering the market every day. It is interesting to note; however, that most people still don’t realize the link between their preferred pillow type and neck pain. The next section shall focus on how to choose the best pillow for neck pain – so keep reading!
Neck pain is a potential symptom that has been experienced by almost 70% of the world’s population at some point in time. Statistics reveal that at any given time, around 1% of the world’s population experiences neck pain. Ironically, it is a generally avoided fact that constant neck pain can result in irreversible damage to the neck muscles. An equally unknown point concerns the active link between your choice of pillow and the symptom.
According to a research published by the Harvard Health Publishing, various types of pillows can prove beneficial and help ease neck pain. Pillow types, pillow material, and usage of different pillows can be crucial to the betterment of worsening of your neck pain symptom. Sleeping in various positions on the same pillows can reveal different results. Technically, your pillow can be the Satan or Messiah for your stiff neck!
How to Choose the Best Pillow for Neck Pain
Stating simply, it depends on your requirements. A particular pillow may be soothing to the neck pain experienced by one person. However, the same pillow may aggravate the condition of another person. Several factors can affect the effectiveness of any specific pillow for neck pain experienced by someone.
Posture refers to the generally preferred position you opt while going to bed. Interestingly, different sleeping postures work well with different pillows to ease neck pain. Pay close attention to your sleeping position, if you sleep in on the side usually, you are advised to use a higher pillow. The high altitude allows the alignment of your head and neck. Thus, your neck muscles are saved from stiffness that may occur due to variable heights. Similarly, you may opt for an additional roll-shaped pillow to improve this neck and head alignment.
On the other hand, if a person prefers to sleep on the back, a lower-height pillow shall be more productive. You may also variate the position of the pillow to find the best alignment with your specific sleeping posture.
The Pillow Material
Kinds of pillows can provide different levels of comfort. If you have a stiff neck, a hard pillow may help reduce the pain. Similarly, if the cause of neck pain is the stiffness of the pillow, you may prefer a soft pillow to ease the neck pain. The choice of the pillow material is directly linked to the cause of the neck pain. Thus, it is recommended to consult your physician to understand the exact issue that is causing your neck pain. Once it is pin-pointed, you may select the best pillow for the given condition.
Usually ignored, it is essential to consider how you use your pillow at sleep time. For example, if you are habitual of using two pillows, try using both of lower height. Otherwise, the neck and head alignment can be severely disturbed, increasing neck pain. On the other hand, you may use one pillow of greater height.
Considering these steps can help you chose the best pillow for yourself. Make sure you take read the list – it might save your neck!
10 Best Pillow For Neck Pain
Below is a list of the top-ten highly recommended pillows for neck pain. The list has been devised as per the latest trends and requirements of 2019. Users from around the globe prefer all the products being reviewed.
The list starts with Pure Comfort – Side Sleep Pillow. The soft version of the pillow can help ease pain and paralyzing effects of neck stenosis. At the same time, it offers height adjusting shims, which allows adjusted alignment of the neck and head.
Usually, people who sleep on their side can find this pillow beneficial. Despite being incredibly soft, the pillow provides stable support below the neck, ensuring comfort during sleep. At the same time, the pillow is of small size, which allows it to be easily adjusted in any way the user desires. This characteristic relieves neck pain.
- Memory foam certified by CertiPUR is used to make this pillow.
- Height can be adjusted as per requirement
- Resistance to dust mites
- A 5-year warranty on purchase
- Facial pressure reduction and comfort during sleep.
- It is a little pricy.
- May not be comfortable for stomach or back sleepers.
This pillow boasts a curved gusset design. As a result, it is suitable for apt neck alignment during sleep. It is a fully customizable pillow: the height and rotation of the pillow can be adjusted as per requirement. Thus, people who all sorts of neck pain can easily use it to ease their symptoms. One of the biggest pros of this pillow is that it is highly affordable.
Similarly, the pillow is non-toxic. There are no exceptionally hazardous chemicals used in its foam. As a result, it can be used safely with even young children. The pillow is machine washable, which increases its convenience to working women and business personnel alike. For users who prefer to sleep on their back, Pure Comfort – Internet’s Most Advanced Pillow provides support to the rear of the neck. Thus, even sleeping regularly for a couple of hours in the same position does not stress your back muscles.
- Full adjustability
- Proper alignment of neck and head with the rest of the body
- Cool surface and soft texture
- Durable, with minimal emissions
- Least odor compared with many other similar products.
- It may be too soft for some people.
- The Bamboo material might cause allergy.
This product is the best pillow for neck pain caused by bulged discs, pinched nerves, and spinal stenosis. The lightweight pillow allows for comfortable sleep due to secure adjustment. However, at the same time, it is firm enough to stay in its place. The cooling effect of the pillow makes it quite suitable for neck pain relief and comfortable sleep.
This pillow makes a great deal to bid farewell to neck pain issues. At the same time, the unique texture on the pillow’s surface increases the comfort it provides to your neck during sleep. Another additional benefit it the green-tea scent that is native to this pillow. For those who prefer mid-heightened pillows, this particular pillow can be considered the right choice.
- It is quoted with cooling get which removes thermal heat
- Can be easily washed in machine
- It removes pain from sore neck due to adaptive material used.
- Lifetime manufacturer guarantee is provided with the product.
- The pillowcase can be washed at least 300 times before change.
- It has a different texture to most pillows.
- It can be uncomfortable to adjust.
Pregnancy can result in severe misalignment of neck and body during sleep. This misalignment may result in severe neck pain, stiffness and may even result in a damaged neck muscles. To avoid this, use PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow. The pillow is no less than a blessing for such cases. It is designed in particular curved shape to allow for easy adjustment of neck and back during pregnancy.
The pillow allows for the bloated belly and back to be aligned smoothly, the reduces the pressure on your neck. Apart from sleeping, the pillow can be useful even when generally sitting, watching television, or even reading. The soft fabric provides a soothing texture that helps your neck relax.
- The material is exceptionally soft to ensure maximum comfort.
- The fabric is double-stitched to ensure that it is highly durable.
- The cover can be machine washed more than 300 times.
- Unique storage bag provided for secure storage
- Stylish to meet the exact demands
- Uncomfortable for daily use.
- Unsuitable for usage over more extended periods.
Long driving or regular drives can cause stiffness of the neck. Usually, driving requires sitting in the same alert position to ensure that total concentration can be made. However, the posture can stress our neck muscles. Wall Sticks Auto Car Seat Pillow is the best pillow by this situation, it provides comfort and rest to the neck to ensure pain relief.
It can be used as both a headrest and neck rest while driving. It usually removes the gap that exists between the seat’s curve and the neck: a significant reason for stiff neck. Moreover, these pillows are available with the brand of the car’s manufacturer printed on them. Thus, they provide a professional touch to your vehicle while relieving the pain in your neck.
- High-quality leather used to make these.
- Fiber-filing to ensure durability
- Pillow has holes for ventilation purposes
- Correctly synchronize with your car’s outlook.
- Usable as a regular sleep pillow
- May not match with your car’s interior.
COZYDREAM HOTEL quality pillows are very soft, which makes them comfortable to use. The cotton casing on the microfiber pillow makes it more soothing for the neck joints and muscles.
The best thing about this pillow is that it work well for all sleeping positions. The fluffy texture makes it easy to adjust in all areas, ensuring quality sleep under all circumstances. The pillow does not deform no matter how much it is folder, which allows for maximum convenience in use. For those suffering from severe neck pain, a stiff pillow can cause further damage.
- The pillow is skin-friendly: does not cause irritation or excessive skin shredding
- The fibers used for making this pillow are of premium quality
- Breathable cotton allows for flexibility.
- It does not go flat, allowing for proper neck posture during sleep.
- One month trial is offered with a money-back guarantee.
- Suitable for people who prefer harder pillows compared to softer ones.
- People who want maximum adjustability.
This pillow is substantial that allows it to support your neck during sleep. This firmness is maintained once the pillow has reached complete inflation. For people who have neck pain due to side sleeping posture, this pillow can be an effective remedy.
The product is featured as Amazon’s Choice for “my pillow.” Using a 40 to 60 mix for Bamboo and Polyester, this pillow provides a therapeutic remedy for stiff neck during sleep. Due to 100% shredded memory foam material, it continually support your head during sleep. As a result, the neck is aligned well with the body, removing any symptoms of a sore or stiff throat. At the same time, you can increase or decrease the height by redistributing the filling.
- It is fully adjustable by adding or removing foam.
- Has dual-layer covering to make the outer layer incredibly soft.
- Support your head and neck to reduce pain and heal injury.
- The Bamboo infusion helps the pillow to stay cool
- Has a limited one year warranty included.
- People who prefer softer pillows may find it too stiff,
- It may not be suitable for those who prefer to sleep on their back or stomach.
The flat and thin surface of this pillow removes any strain that traditional, high pillows can place on neck muscles. For people who sleep on their stomach or back, this added strain can result in severe neck pain.
Moreover, the pillow supports the spine of people who sleep on their stomach. The posture is maintained well by the curved edges of the pillow, improving the breathing. At the same it, it causes equal pressure all around the head and neck area, saving on particular muscle from over-stress or strain. Although the pillow is soft, it is still firm enough to hold your head and neck in their place while you sleep. This relaxing balance between head and neck can improve any symptoms of neck pain or neck stiffness.
- It has a thin profile. As a result, even when you sleep on your back, it supports your head.
- It supports your spine by diversifying and spreading pressure equally.
- The cooling gel keeps the surface of the pillow fresh.
- The cover is removable and washable.
- The cover of the pillow is resistant to odor.
- The pillow may seem costly for some people, given the price tag of almost 50 dollars for one piece.
A brilliant, ultra-thin best pillow for neck pain is the Lofe Gel Infused Memory Foam variant. The soft foam of the pillow provides maximum relief and protection to the neck muscles. At the same time, the thin and plat surface allows stomach sleepers to sleep without any strain on their neck.
The pillow is also suitable for those who sleep on their back, side, or arm under the pillow. The cooling get infusion ensures the cold outer surface of the pillow. The ideal balance of the pillow between firmness and softness is a miraculous remedy for stiff and sore neck. The pillow also allows for maximum relief in case there is back pain.
- It has a Bamboo washable cover.
- The surface is ultra-thin
- Two different variants are available: 24 x 16 x 3.25 inches and 28 x 16 x 2.5 inches.
- Therapeutic spine treatment is provided due to the perfect alignment of the body during sleep.
- Eases TMJ, Migraines, Snoring, and insomnia like magic.
- The price tag of 41 dollars (almost) per piece can be quite expensive for some people.
The pillow provides quality relaxation and relief. It has adjustable foam filling that ensures adjustment perfection. At the same time, it aligns your complete body, providing dedicated support to your neck muscles and tendons through your sleep.
This stylish pillow can be the perfect choice for your fashion bedroom. It can add style and foster your neck health at the same time. Concurrently, it supports machine washing and has a breathable fabric that adds to its convenience. You may adjust the pillow as per your need.
- It is highly comfortable and cool.
- It is dust mite resistant
- The product comes with a one year warranty
- Comfort level is adjustable.
- It provides support to the entire body – no matter what posture you chose to sleep.
- Some people may avoid using this pillow due to the shredded foam material as it may get too hot.
Does the fabric of the pillow matter in how much relief it provides for neck pain?
The fabric of the pillow is one of the crucial deciding factors for the relief it provides to neck pain. Generally, breathable fabric covers allow air circulation, which keeps them cooler on the outside. On the other hand, memory foam can get extremely hot, resulting in damage to neck muscles.
Can pillows recommended for stomach sleepers be used by back sleepers?
The recommended alignment of the neck is much the same for back and stomach sleepers. Any flat and thin pillow that is recommended or stomach sleepers can be used by back sleepers correctly.
Can the best pillow for neck pain vary from person to person?
The best pillow for neck pain varies from person to person. Various individual factors such as preferred sleeping style, firmness of pillow favored, etc. are vital determinants of a suitable pillow for personal use.
Can the pillow be used for other than sleeping purposes?
The pillows mentioned in this list can provide support to your neck in many different circumstances. Pregnant women can use them as support while sitting to read or watch television. Similarly, long-route drivers can use them for neck support and ease in driving, etc.
Is it necessary to wash pillow cover?
Regular use can make your pillow cover dirty. At the same it, it can result in dandruff and dead skin buildup on the pillow. Dust mites may also infest it. Thus, it is recommended to wash the pillow cover at least once a week to maintain a healthy bed for comfortable sleep.
It can be safely concluded that your choice of pillow can directly affect the possibility of experiencing neck pain. Considering the trouble a stiff neck can cause for people, it is necessary to give careful consideration to the object on which choose to sleep. This article has provided a complete guide not only on how to select the perfect pillow, but also about the various recommended pillows available to make an informed choice.
Health of your every body part matters for living an active, healthy, and comfortable life. Getting the best pillow for neck pain is an essential step in bringing this life goal to fruition. Remember! It depends on the choice you make. Choose wisely!