Sleeping peacefully is an integral part of our daily routine. Chronic shoulder pain can make life difficult while sleeping. Side sleeping can increase shoulder pain as you are completely putting pressure on a single arm. Using comfortable pillows that are specially made for people suffering from shoulder pain is the best possible solution. Selecting best pillow for shoulder pain becomes easier when you have enough options. There are therapeutic pillows available for side sleepers that give proper support to neck and shoulders. Even if you are not a side sleeper there are ergonomic pillows that are custom made to provide proper support to your back and shoulders.
How to choose the best pillow for shoulder pain
While choosing a pillow for shoulder pain your focus should be on comfort and proper balance in the body. Make sure that you buy a pillow that reduces your sensitivity towards pain. A pillow that aligns shoulder and neck helps in relaxing the muscles to provide pain-free sleep.
Pillows with adequate shape and size
Shape plays a crucial part when it comes to selecting the pillow. Even size matters for people suffering from shoulder pain. Along with head and neck, you also need proper support around your shoulders. Focus on buying pillows that help you in maintaining a perfect posture.
Check the thickness
In order to keep your shoulders protected it is important to buy pillows that are thick. Thick pillows keep your shoulders protected by maintaining proper alignment between neck and head.
Pillows for side sleepers
It is important for side sleepers to buy pillows that alleviate pressure. The Sleeping position tends to be a crucial factor when it comes to buying a pillow. The pad in the pillow should make it easier for you to rest appropriately. Generally, back sleepers are fine with anything that is flat while side sleepers prefer firmer and thicker pillows.
Buy pillows that consist of comfy material
Shoulder pain can be really stressful. Selecting pillows that consist of comfy material helps in providing support to the shoulder and neck. The best pillows are the ones that consist of Latex.
Top 10 best pillow for shoulder pain
This pillow consists of ergonomic contour that helps in eliminating any kind of discomfort. Manufacturers have used soft memory foam that shapes up perfectly with the body weight. It has an innovative design with curved edges that suits the posture of back sleepers as well as side sleepers. It is a cervical pillow that comes with medical benefits for people suffering from shoulder pain. Usage of high-quality foam ensures proper blood circulation around the neck and shoulder area. Soft foam can also reduce soreness and improve energy level by improving the quality of sleep.
- Provides corrective support to shoulders and neck
- It is light weight and the memory foam makes it better than most of the standard pillows
- It comes with a pillow case that is hypoallergenic and provides protection against dust
- The shape of the pillow also reduces snoring problems
- Soft material improves comfort level
- It is not washable
- Not suitable for people who have wide shoulders
Created by Coisum this is an orthopedic pillow that perfectly supports the head. It has a firm design to support your head whether you move backwards or move towards the front. The rebound memory foam consists of medium hardness and reduces pressure on the back and the neck area. The cutouts on the sides provide perfect balance to the shoulder. There is a breathing hole present in this pillow that is designed to provide optimal support to the skull. Irrespective of the fact that whether you are a back sleeper or side sleeper the creative design of this pillow provides firm support to the body.
- It comes with excellent airflow
- The pillow is light in weight and it can be carried anywhere
- It has certification from Certi-PUR US
- Inclusion of two height contours improves the comfort level
- Usage of soft and skin friendly materials makes it suitable for sensitive skin
- It takes time to fit the neck and you might feel uncomfortable at the start. In a span of 3-4 days it becomes comfortable when it adjusts according to the alignment of neck and back.
- Exposure to sun can destroy memory foam structure of this pillow
Created with a high-quality L-zipper design this pillow comes with dual layers. It consists of breathable foam that perfectly aligns the shoulder, back, neck and head. Interestingly this pillow comes with a comfy material that suits the needs of a stomach sleeper, side sleeper and a back sleeper. Along with improved quality this pillow also consists of orthopedic elements that reduce shoulder pain. It stays firm in the neck, shoulder and the head that acts as an ideal support for a perfect sleep.
- Its unique size supports different body postures that help in avoiding shoulder pain
- It can be adjusted easily
- The usage of microfiber and bamboo filling make it easily customizable
- It is dryer safe and can be washed in a machine
- The pillow might suffer from slight off-gassing
- Does not have recliner functionality
With a focus on therapeutic relief this pillow is created with breathable foam. The premium fabric used for making this pillow improves the quality of sleep and reduces shoulder pain. The ergonomic design is perfect for providing a balance in the body and reducing any kind of pain in the neckline, head or shoulder area. The contour design of this pillow aligns the body perfectly and improves the body posture while you are asleep. Once the discomfort is reduced and body postured is improved you will be able to sleep faster.
- The premium fabric used in the pillow make it suitable for therapeutic relaxation
- It supports the needs of side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers
- Dust protection keeps it soft and cozy; it feels silky soft on the skin.
- This pillow also provides efficient support to people with wide shoulders
- The presence of removable memory foam makes it easier to adjust according to the body requirements
- It might take some time to adjust while the pillow is new. Once the contour design starts aligning with the back it adjusts well.
- Hand wash is preferred as machine wash might affect the core of the foam
Manufactured with a multipurpose bed wedge this pillow helps in alleviating shoulder and neck pain. It comes in the shape of a recliner and provides efficient support to the shoulder and upper back. Interestingly this pillow can also helps in reducing problems related to acid reflux and breathing. The usage of high density foam fits perfectly with the posture of your back and shoulders. With a firm support and comfortable slope this pillow provides a restful sleep. You can also use it while you watch TV or read a book. The recliner in this pillow provides a comfortable support that keeps your body upright.
- Along with reducing shoulder pain the pillow also relives you from heartburn, snoring problems and acid reflux
- The elevated position of the pillow reduces breathing problems
- The wedge used in this pillow stays firm and it does not collapse below your body
- This pillows elevated position can also reduces muscle pain and all kinds of kinks in the body
- Memory foam used in this pillow is very soft and provides support to the body from all angles
- It might suffer from off-gassing problems
- The pillow might be smaller for taller people
Back support and spinal alignment in this pillow provides a pain free experience. Proper spinal alignment is an important aspect to reduce shoulder pain. The adjustable pillow manufactured by KLOUDES makes it easier to adjust the height according to the sleeping posture. An advantage with adjustable pillows is that whether you are sleep backwards or you are a side sleeper this pillow helps in resting according to your body needs.
- It comes with good adjustability to help users in dealing with neck and shoulder problems
- Hypoallergenic material used in this pillow helps in avoiding any kind of skin problem
- The pillow comes with an easy to wash pillow cover
- Pillow height can be easily adjusted to stay flexible for different sleep positions
- There might be some off-gassing problem at the start
- May not provide all night support if used for long duration
The dynamic foam used in this pillow provides excellent comfort to the neckline and shoulders. It has a therapeutic design that adjusts well according to the body position. The fact that it promotes spine alignment makes sure that any kind of stiffness in the shoulder is alleviated. The unique feature for adjusting height on this pillow makes it easier to contour according to your sleeping position. It consists of 40% bamboo and 60% polyester that makes it hypoallergenic and improves blood circulation. Its height is 4.7 inch at the top and 3.9 inches at the lower end when you use it with middle layer. The height reduces to 3.5 inches at the top and 2.8 inches on the lower part once the middle layer is removed.
- The middle layer of the pillow can be easily adjusted for people with wide shoulders
- The contour shape of the pillow provides perfect support to the cervical curve of the body
- It is certified by OEKO-TEX, CertiPUR-US and ISPA
- This cooling pillow is mite resistant and it comes with improved air circulation
- A unique layer design of this pillow provides peaceful sleep
- The pillow might leave some toxic odor while it is unpacked. Leave it in a ventilated area for few hours.
Avenco pillow comes with a good mix of support and comfort. Almost all the pillows made with memory foam are comfortable but lack proper support. The high density pillow created by Avenco comes with various customization features that provide excellent support to the users. The shredded foam filling makes it easier to adjust the pillow according to the sleeping pattern of the person using it. This pillow consists of gel foam that easily releases heat and improves air circulation. The improvement in airflow provides comfortable sleep and reduces any kind of pain in the body.
- This pillow is suitable for pregnant women too
- It is durable and does not contain any harmful substance like formaldehyde, heavy metals or any other form of toxin
- It comes with a customized design to suit people of different height
- Memory foam gel used in this pillow helps in releasing heat and does not keep air restricted
- It takes time to adjust with this pillow. You might suffer discomfort in the first two weeks
- There might be some odor at the first when you open it
Personalized to meet your sleeping needs this orthopedic pillow is ideal for people with different sleeping positions. The memory foam with clover shredded material makes sure that you get proper support around your shoulders and neckline. The unique inner part that is zippered helps in controlling the height of the pillow. The usage of bamboo derived fabric helps in alleviating heat and reduces tiredness. The innovative cross-cut design focuses on improving air flow so that you don’t get a restricted feeling. This is a customizable pillow that aligns according to your body movements while you are asleep.
- Micro-pore technology that makes it flexible enough and improves the quality of sleep
- It is infused with cool memory gel that keeps the temperature comfortable while you sleep
- It does not consist of harmful material like lead, ozone depleters, formaldehyde or mercury
- These pillows come with premium covers that consist of quality zippers
- It might feel heavy to some of the users
- The size of the pillow might not meet the needs of all kinds of users
This is a double layered pillow that has a firm base for proper support. The inclined design of the pillow helps in maintaining a proper body posture while reading books, watching TV or sleeping. It can be customized to fit the body position. It comes with a multifunctional feature that reduces respiratory problems, neck pain and shoulder pain. Place the taller part of the pillow at the end of headboard as this provides excellent support while you’re asleep. Side sleepers can use one more pillow and place it above the wedge to make it comfortable.
- It comes with a removable cover for each of the wedges. The cover is made of polyester and better sleep with efficient breathability
- Using this pillow can reduce inflammation in tissues if it is placed around the leg, at the back or near the shoulders
- The inclined shape of the pillow helps in fighting sleep apnea and reduces gastro esophageal diseases
- The pillow is double folded while it is packed and buyers might smell some odor while opening the package. It is important to keep it open for 24 hours to get rid of the odor.
What is the most important thing to consider while buying a pillow for shoulder pain?
This is an important question that comes into everyone’s mind who suffers from shoulder pain. Obviously spinal alignment is the most important thing but there are other factors that you need to consider. You should seriously consider your sleep position and buy a pillow that meets your body posture.
Why is it important to focus on neck and head alignment while buying a pillow?
Spinal alignment is the core of a peaceful sleep. Your body posture defines the issues related to head, shoulder, back and neck. If the spinal alignment is not good enough then you will experience pain at the back, around the neck and around the shoulders too.
Are pillows helpful in other areas that suffer from pain?
Pillows are definitely helpful in other areas of the body. They can address localized pain in any part of the body. Once you place the pillow in a particular area that suffers from pain and sleep for few hours you will definitely feel better. It takes the pressure off that area and improves the circulation in that part of the body.
What is the relation between sleep positions and pillows?
There are different kinds of sleepers. Some people sleep on their back while some are side sleepers. Side sleepers have a higher chance of experiencing shoulder pain as they put all the pressure on one side of the body. While buying a pillow make sure you get the one that addresses the positioning needs of the body. If you are already suffering from shoulder or neck pain then buy a pillow that can address the pain and provide you comfort.
Shoulder pain can be terrible and it can force you to stay awake all night. If you suffer from chronic shoulder pain then no sleep position seems to be comfortable for the body. There are many side sleepers who suffer from this problem and only a perfect balance in the body’s posture can help in avoiding this problem. Pillows play a big role in reducing shoulder. Selecting pillow that has the right size and is made out of good material can help you in getting rid of shoulder pain.