Neck pain caused by sleeping in the wrong position is especially common. Almost everyone has this situation. Applying a cure for neck pain when you sleep in the wrong position, such as doing light exercises, massages, and taking certain medications, can help you improve your pain. If you are experiencing a neck pain due to sleeping in the wrong position, you can refer to several solutions below.
How long does neck pain caused by sleeping in a wrong position last?
Tilting the head to hold the phone, sleeping in the wrong position, placing the pillow too high and looking down the phone screen for too long all cause neck stiffness.
Many people have a stiff neck. Most of the cases are accompanied by pain and limited movement. In such case, you have to turn your whole body to be able to look to the sides. Symptoms can last from a few days to a few weeks, combining headache and shoulder pain. Sometimes the pain spreads to the arm, numbs the hand or reduces the motor function of the hand.
Neck pain caused by sleeping in the wrong position
Your neck is flexible and supports your head weight, so it may be more susceptible to injuries and painful conditions that limit the movement. The causes of neck pain include:
– Muscle strain: Bending on your computer or smartphone for too many hours can cause muscle strain. Even small things, such as reading on your bed or gritting your teeth, can strain your neck muscles.
– Abrasive joints: Like other joints in your body, your neck joints tend to wear with age. Osteoarthritis causes the cartilage between your bones (vertebrae) to degenerate.
– Compressed nerve: disc herniation or thorns in your neck vertebrae can click on the nerves that branch out of the spinal cord.
– Injury: bumps can lead to neck injuries, stretching soft tissues of the neck.
– Illness: certain illnesses, such as rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis or cancer, can cause neck pain.
How to cure neck pain caused by sleeping in the wrong position
Neck pain after waking up due to poor posture is not too dangerous. It may go away after a period of rest. However, this situation can lead to a lot of discomfort, affecting your work and other daily activities. To improve this condition, the below tips for curing neck pain after wake-up will be useful for you:
1. Apply light exercises to your muscles
Light muscle exercises are suitable for many types of neck pain. You can follow these steps:
Try rotating your neck in a circular motion to help stretch the muscles in the neck. Beginning with an exercise program may be uncomfortable for you. However, when done regularly for a while, these movements will help reduce pain very effectively. You can rest for a while and then continue to gently rotate the neck so that the muscles in the neck are relaxed.
2. Massage at painful position
Massage movements can be performed after you have applied light exercises. When the muscles have been relieved, massage will help bring blood to the painful areas, providing the necessary nutrients and oxygen to help the muscles to recover faster, thereby reducing the significant pain condition. Not only that, massage also helps you feel better mentally.
3. Use some kinds of topical or oral medicine
Some oral or topical medications can also help you improve your pain. However, to ensure the safest and most effective treatment, you should consult your doctor before taking these drugs and always read the directions before use.
Some postures often cause neck pain after waking up
Right sleeping position to prevent neck pain is also important. Sleeping in the wrong position affects not only the health of the neck but also can cause you to encounter many other health problems such as breathing and blood circulation. It is best to avoid the bad postures as follows:
It is advisable to avoid sleeping on your stomach as much as possible. This position not only puts pressure on the muscles in your face and neck but also leads to stretching pain and discomfort after you wake up. Besides, lying on your stomach for a long time can make you feel tired, short of breath or lack of oxygen, which in turn can lead to some respiratory effects.
Lying curl up can also prevent the muscular and skeletal system from being straight. In daily activities, your muscles may be pinched but not straightened, so when you sleep, you should pay attention not to curl up to help your skeletal muscle stretch. Curl up also hurts the blood circulation in the body. This posture also makes it difficult for you to turn over. Consequently, you will not sleep well, and when you wake up, you will always feel tired.
How to prevent neck pain
Most neck pains are related to sleeping postures or age. To help to prevent neck pain, some simple changes to your daily routine may be helpful. Consider trying:
- Have a good posture: When standing and sitting, make sure your shoulders are in a straight line on your hips.
- Take frequent breaks: If you travel long distances or work long hours in front of your computer screen, get up, move and stretch your neck and shoulders.
- Adjust the table, chair and computer so that the monitor is at your eyes’ level. Your knees should be slightly lower than hips.
- Avoid tucking the phone between your ear and shoulder while you talk. Instead, use a headset or external speaker.
- If you smoke, quit smoking. Smoking can put you at higher risk for neck pain.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags with straps on your shoulders. Weight can strain your neck.
- Sleep in a good position. Your head and neck should be aligned with your body. Use a small pillow under your neck. Try sleeping on your back with your thighs raised above the pillow, which will flatten your spinal muscles.
Neck pain after waking up is quite common in everyday life. However, this situation is not difficult to improve. Hopefully, the above remedies for neck pain and some avoidable postures can help you significantly improve this condition.